Sunday, October 21, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World


Japan Family

The family I have chosen will be from Japan, and I will be working in a child care center.  I will first get to know the family and learn about their culture through them as well as resources.  To make little Susie welcome I will try to accommodate the diversity of the child by decorating bulletin boards, banners, signs or posters around the classroom with Japanese culture.   My classroom already has dolls, food, and books of different cultures so she will probably like that.  By seeing items from different cultures she will feel as though she belongs in this environment.   I will treat the child and her family with respect which I do with all parents.  I will invite the parents to visit the classroom to share so of their culture with the class.   

As the teacher, I will provide activities in the classroom for the children to engage in and learn more about other cultures and their beliefs.  I will have a “Multicultural Day” at school and have each parent to bring an ethnic dish of their choice and share it with the class.  Again I will make the child and her family feels welcome at the center and make sure communication is there at all times.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of decorating the bulletin board to represent her country. I can remember being in school and being fascinated with the creativity that was put on the bulletin board. I always thought of it being the most important board in school. And I really liked when I saw some of my work posted on it. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bulletin board idea is a great one! This not only makes the student and her family feel included in the school but it also allows the other children and their families an opportunity to jump in and welcome them to the country and the school. This will help make the transition easier for the parents as they will be nervous about leaving their little ones in this new environment.

    ReplyDelete