Saturday, June 29, 2013

Time Well Spent

Time Well Spent
            
The past twenty months of this Master’s Program has been a great journey and I have learned that providing a safe learning environment for the children and supporting the children, families and the community and focusing on families culture is very important.  Throughout my research I have learned that there are many organizations out there that will help teacher and parents become deeply involved in their child’s education. Organizations such as the Mississippi State University Extension Service in which there mission is to provide research-based information, educational programs, and technology transfer focused on issues and needs of the people of Mississippi, Mississippi State University Early Childhood Institute, which offers a number of programs and services designed to enhance the quality of early learning experiences for young children, National Associations for the Education of Young Children because it is the world’s largest organization working on behalf of our young children.  The organization mission is to “to serve and act on behalf of the needs, rights and well-being of all young children with primary focus on the provision of educational and developmental services and resources” (National Associations for the Education of Young Children) and the National Education Association which is totally committed with Improving Early Childhood Education and is a high quality organization free, publicly funded, quality kindergarten programs in all states.
My long-term goal is to be an advocate in the field of education while working with the Mississippi State University Early Childhood Institute.  I plan to continue the success of our young children and help parents stay involve in their child’s school and education from preschool through high school and college as well.  Parents need to know that they are important and they are their child/children first teacher.  My next goal is to help teachers in early childhood education programs improve their working conditions and practices, provide high-quality systems and include groups who are committee to performing excellence.  I will value partnership with families, parents, communities and other to have quality education.

Throughout the last eight weeks, it has been a struggle for me but we the support of Dr. Davis and my colleagues’ it has became a success.  I thank you all for helping me to dig deep in my thoughts and encouraging me to respond in details to your post and blogs.  These past twenty months have been a journey I will not forget and who to see familiar faces and names in Walden University Doctoral Degree programs. 

My Favorite Quotes 
 "Free the child's potential, and you will transform him into the world."
- Maria Montessori
"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths pure theatre."
- Gail Godwin
"The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one."
- Malcolm Forbes
"Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed."
- Maria Montessori
"In early childhood you may lay the foundation of poverty or riches, industry of idleness, good or evil, by the habits to which you train your children. Teach them right habits then, and their future life is safe.”
- Lydia Sigourney

To my colleagues, please feel free to contact me via email shortlakeshia@yahoo.com or Short325@gmail.com.  It has really been a great opportunity to share this learning experience with you all and again I hope to see familiar faces and names as we continue to succeed in life.

Thanks

LaKeshia S. Short



References

Mississippi State University Early Childhood Institute
The National Association for the Education of Young Children      
 National Education Association http://www.nea.org/home/19583.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lakeshia,
    we are neighbors so to say. Since we both are from Mississippi I hope that we can meet each other soon. I have enjoyed all of your thoughts of wisdom, and I wish that you will achieve all you dreams in the working in the early childhood field. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The countless information and organizations that I was introduced to were priceless. I am so grateful for all my colleagues and instructors that have helped me along my way.

    ReplyDelete