Saturday, January 7, 2012

Birthing Experience

My birthing experience was very exciting. I became pregnant at the age of twelve (12) and gave birth at the age of thirteen (13). Being pregnant was a challenge for me at a very young age. Many people were not comforting with the fact that I was pregnant. I got dirty looks and comments from many but I did not let that get in my way. Some wanted me to get an abortion but I was determine to be the best mother I could. It was not easy, I had school, under peer pressure, and plenty of stress. I had to be placed on bed rest, therefore I had to take a lead of absent from school.

Maurice was born at 28 weeks in Natchez Community Hospital on June 7, 1992 weighing 3 lbs, 12 ounces. He was premature. However, his lungs were healthy, he was eating well, but he had to stay in the hospital for 4 weeks until he was 5lbs. There was no complications giving birth and the experience was a success. I gave birth with no anesthesia and medication was not required. Maurice is now 19 years old, attending a community college and I am very proud of him.



5 comments:

  1. That is something to experience. To be 12 years old and have to think about raising a child as a child. All I could think about is being scared. As children we experience peer pressures that we couldn't imagine. I worked with teen parents as a parent educator and director as early intervention center. My youngest teen parent was a 12 year old and it just threw me for a lupe because at the time I was just 24 and I know what would have happened to me if I had gotten pregnant while in school but I had to start thinking about every possible situation the young lady could have been faced with.

    Through it all it is good to know that your son is doing well and is attending college. Through all the complications brought out of the storm was a successful young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Pregnant at age 12. I was scared out of my mind to be pregnant at 17. I can't even imagine the stressors and struggles you encountered. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. I am sure you are extremely proud of yourself and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At Erika and Mrs. Ross I am very proud of my son and myself. it was a struggle but I did not give up and i was determine to be a great parent. My mother helped me through my struggle but she never took over. She told me it was my responsibility and where ever I went, I was packing my child right beside me. It helped me to be strong and to continue my education in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite amazing. Just looking at blogs and came across your post. I worked in a teen pregnancy center and my youngest parent was 12. She was an excellent mother. I believe, I had two parents that had twins and one multiples at a young age. I had my first child at 22 and I also got those looks, I looked really young so most people thought I was a teenager. Graduations to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story. You truly inspire me. You have accomplished so much and overcame great hurdles.
    Congrats on raising a remarkable young adult.

    ReplyDelete