Saturday, September 29, 2012

Awareness of Microaggression


Awareness of Microaggression

            Over the week, I have learned about microaggression.  My cousin (James) came home to visit yesterday for our Homecoming Parade and brought home his Caucasian girlfriend (Sue).  She seemed to be a little uncomfortable but I welcome her to the family and wanted her to feel as though she was welcomed.  However, my cousin (Tony), James brother said, “Here he comes home with this big white country woman.”  However, I told him to stop talking about her because he knows nothing about her.  She was very well manner and she makes him happy so that was all that matter.  My cousin (Tony) was using microaggression.  Although, Sue did not here his statement that he made it still was not a nice or respectful thing to say. 

2 comments:

  1. LaKeisha,It is sad that she is being judged and talked about based on her looks. We need to get to know people first. How does he know that a black woman would be better for him or do he care. You were right to share with him that if his brother was happy that is all that matters. Sadly, this happens often. I think that it is fear that hinders us from allowing ourselves to let the prejudice go. We are so afraid that if we open up we would be shut down so we continue to hide in hate. We are only hurting ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you were there to offer some words of wisdom to Tony. He really should not talk about Sue like that. While I am sure it was different to have her around he should have spent more time getting to know her and see what his brother sees in her. I am sure she is a great woman!

    ReplyDelete