Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand
This is a perfect book for the first day of school.  This is a story about a little raccoon ready to start school. He talks to his mother about his fears, fears that most children have before beginning school. His mother comes up with a pefect solution to help her little raccoon remember that she loves him and is thinking about him, even when she isn't with him.  On the first day of school there are mixed emotions everywhere! Some children are excited to be at school while others have trouble transitioning from home to school.  I always read the kissing hand with my students on the first day. We talk about our fears and hopes about coming to school. We discuss how our parents might feel when their children are away from them. After our story time we decide together to make a gift for the parents on the first day.


I allow each child while in the "Art Center" to draw a picture of his or her family and let each child make a handprint on construction paper.  During afternoon "Circle Time" I like to have the children bring their portraits to the carpet and share at least one thing about their drawing.  I give each child a small, pre-cut heart to glue in the middle of their handprint.  Then, I staple each child's family portrait to the bottom of their handprint paper.  During our afternoon story time we practice retelling the story.  I allow the students to take their work home to give to their parent(s).  The children really enjoy this story.  It's like an ice breaker for the beginning of the year and it simply put the classroom at ease for the students.

2 comments:

  1. This is my second favorite book. I really like the extended literacy activity that you do. What a great way for children to know that they are not the only one who may be feeling anxious about school. It also allows the children to feel a sense of belonging in the classroom. The last thing I like about your activity is by sending it home, the parents are aware that you not only recognize their child's fear, but are working at building strong relationships and classroom community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds very interesting I am going to get this book. I really like the idea about making a gift for the parents. That is something I can do with my students.

    ReplyDelete